James E. Morris
Phone: 585-292-5750 ext. 11
James E. Morris is an experienced litigator, judge, and mediator (www.jamesmorrismediator.com) and a long-time principal in Morris & Morris. His practice has an emphasis on issues involving negligence (e.g., personal injury, wrongful death), real estate, small business, and estates/trusts. Over the course of his distinguished career he has settled or tried numerous cases, many involving multi-million dollar settlements, and total settlements now exceed $20 million.
In addition, he served for 33 years as a Brighton (NY) Town Justice, and periodically served as Acting City Court Judge for the City of Rochester (NY). He is a former president of the New York State Magistrates Association and recipient of its Magistrate of the Year award.
He has been recognized since 2005 in each annual edition of The Best Lawyers in America, a publication universally regarded as a guide to legal excellence in the United States. Listing in the publication is the result of an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 16,000 of the leading attorneys in the nation confidentially evaluate their professional peers. Mr. Morris has most recently been nominated for Fellowship in the honorary trial lawyer society, Litigation Counsel of America.
James Morris also holds Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review’s AV rating (the highest possible), which is considered the gold standard in the legal community. The rating is based on the confidential opinions of bar association members and the judiciary, and attests to his professional legal ability and ethics.
In 2002 he was named a Fellow of the American College of Civil Trial Mediators, an elite nationwide group of mediators and dispute resolution professionals known for their skill, ethical standards, and professional commitment and is now a member of the Board of Directors for that professional organization. For more than 15 years, plaintiffs’ attorneys, defense attorneys, in-house counsel, insurers, and business professionals throughout Upstate New York have turned to him to mediate or arbitrate high-end liability, contract, and commercial disputes. He is particularly adept at mediating complex cases, which involve either significant financial issues and/or numerous parties, and has an outstanding record getting the parties to reach settlement. He mediated or arbitrated a total of more than 200 such disputes in a recent 12-month period.
In addition, James Morris is a published author, adjunct professor and frequent guest lecturer.
- Brighton, New York Town Justice – (1972 - 2005)
- Acting City Court Judge, Rochester, New York (1977 - 2005, when appointed by District Administrative Supreme Court Justice)
- New York State Office of Court Administration – Senior Faculty
- New York State Bar Association – Tort Insurance and Compensation Law Section, Chair ADR (Alternatives to Dispute Resolution) Committee
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Martindale-Hubbell Highest Rating - AV
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 Edition to present (each annual edition)
- The American Society of Writers on Legal Subjects
Previous Professional Experience / Memberships
- New York State Magistrates Association – Past President; Past Director of Education and Training
- New York State Magistrates Association’s Magistrate of the Year
- Panel of Peers Youth Jury Program – Founder
- Criminal Procedure Law Advisory Committee, Unified Court System
- Monroe County Magistrates Association – Past President
- Assistant District Attorney, Town Courts in Monroe County
- Monroe Community College (Rochester, NY) – Adjunct Professor
- Village, Town, and District Courts in New York Practice Guide (lead author), West Publishing Company, 1995. Annual updates 1996 – present
- Victim Aftershock, 1983
- You Can Win Big in Small Claims Court, 1981
Lectureships / Seminars (Abridged)
- “How to Evaluate and Settle a Personal Injury Claim,” Monroe County Bar Association Litigation Section – Program Chair
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Seminar “The Winning Solution,” Phillips, Lytle, Hitchcock, Blaine & Huber LLP, Buffalo, NY
- “Settlement Techniques in Personal Liability Cases,” Monroe County Bar Association – Program Chair
- All New York State Courts
- United States District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Syracuse University, LLB., 1967
- Syracuse University, B.A., Political Science, 1964